Monday, July 27, 2009

Food, Inc.

While watching the movie Food, Inc. this past Friday night, I was reminded about the importance of asking questions. The movie is about a group of individuals investigating where our food comes from. Interviews with farmers and researchers unveiled ugly truths about the source of America’s food supply. For example, almost all foods in America are made with some form of high fructose corn syrup and E.coli outbreaks are becoming increasingly common as it travels from cattle farms into our ground water where our fruits and vegetables are grown.

The part of this film that stood out to me the most was when one investigator said something to the effect of, “Americans ask how their food is made, but not why it is made as it is.” Asking how will keep Americans informed, but asking why involves higher-level thinking and evaluation. Why-questions can spark change! For instance, the film brought urgent questions to the table such as: Why are 1 in 3 children born in America after 2000 obese? Why are 1 in 2 children of color born after 2000 obese? Why is a hamburger from a fast food restaurant cheaper than a head of lettuce? Knowing that these problems are out there is important, but asking why these problems are occurring is essential to solving them.

Watching this movie not only made me feel like a more knowledgeable and powerful consumer, but it also reminded me of why I decided to become a teacher. I want to teach children to become the investigators who ask important why questions. I want to give children the tools to question the world around them, analyze, and evaluate it. Ultimately, I want to help children become independent well-informed thinkers so that they can make the best decisions for themselves and our world. Talking about promoting good citizenship! ☺

This week’s reading from Lindquist brought up the point that teachers should use their academic passion as the center for their integrated learning program. This movie made me realize that health is my passion. Just as Lindquist mentioned her desire to endlessly learn about social studies, I yearn to learn more about health everyday and want to pass on that thirst for knowledge to my students. Furthermore, I think I can teach social studies, math, reading, science, and art through examining health. For instance, Food, Inc. highlighted the role of government in effecting our food supply, what is grown, how foods are regulated etc. Health problems, such as obesity can be quantified and mathematical projections for the health of children can also be calculated. Similarly, one can read expository, authentic texts about health in newspapers, magazines, and books. Overall, Food, Inc, reminded me about my passion for learning about health, for teaching in general, and has sparked my desire to create an integrated program surrounding health.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! What an insightful and reflective post on how a movie can ignite passion in your chosen profession. Totally interested in the health unit so make sure you keep my email and send it my way when you've completed it :)

    ReplyDelete